Friday, September 5, 2008

Journal Writing #1 - My Favorite Writing

I am a big admirer of music and the expressive lyrical content that many bands produce. It sends shivers down my spine when a song can show me my own life from such a different perspective, while at the same time be created from someone I have never met. The first two phrases in the song "Snuff" by the heavy metal band Slipknot does exactly that.


Words like "The air around me still feels like a cage. And love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage," give me a feeling that is all too familiar. The same feeling that claws at me every time a relationship goes sour.


These lyrics are an example of good writing because their words have meaning through imagery. They will never tell you directly what they are saying. It is always open to interpretation, but will always have a deep meaning for themselves.

No comments: